Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"Author's Note"
A.) This essay has rose to the top because I am very proud of myself for acheiving my goals and trying my hardest at something.
B.) I think this essay really shows how well my determination is and how much I push myself to do better.
C.) I really need to work on the organization and the wording in this essay because I do not think it is ready to be sent to any colleges.This is a true rough draft so far and it needs some work.
D.) After reading my essay, I would like to know if my determination and mind set was seen through this essay. For instance, did I use good descriptions to show my struggles and how I solved them?

Waterskiing:
          The first dip into that water was freezing cold. I was not sure I knew what I was doing because I had never tried it before. I have always watched my sister and my dad water-ski but for me, it seemed impossible. The first time I tried was when I was about ten years old. I got into the water, and I felt my feet get really tight and I hated it. Although it looked really cool I was not about to keep trying it.
          When I was sixteen, I decided that I wanted to learn how to ski. I told my dad and my family what my goal for the summer was going to be. The first thing they told me to do was to go grab a bathing suit. I did not know what I was in for. In moments later I was told to put each foot into a ski. I was told to hold on tight to the rope and keep my ski tips up. I was really nervous, but I knew I needed to do this in order to succeed. I did not get it my first time but I was so close. My arms got really tired but I kept trying and then finally I got up for about a second until I fell again. I told my family that I would try another day because I was so exhausted.
A week had finally arrived and I found myself back in the water. I was so happy because I knew could get the hang of it and get on top of the water to where I was supposed to be. I surprised myself because after I got up I was able to stay up for a few minutes.  I got really comfortable with the water and the skis that I was almost on them every other day. I had fallen in love with skiing and I was always happy to go out and ski with friends. I was really anxious to learn how to curve myself to get over each wake. I kept trying and getting helpful hints from my family, but it was not until I took a deep breath and relaxed that I finally got it.
When my sisters bought a brand new boat, I made a promise that I would learn to solemn which is being on one ski. I knew it was a challenge but I was ready to take it on.  When I got up on top of the water, I was so anxious to start my challenge that I kept trying too hard to let go of one ski and would lose my balance. I was told to keep my foot in until I felt it was going to slip out and just let my foot drag when it was outside of the ski. It was a lot harder than I thought. I have ever since been trying.
                This year I set a new goal for myself to achieve and that was too solemn and if not to cross over the wakes. I would have learned a lot faster if the weather was not so nice and I did not have to work so much, but the one time I tried I was able to cross over the wake. I was feeling a lot more comfortable than the year before and I was able to get from one side to the other without a difficulty. I attempted to try again at the solemn ski, but it did not go my way this summer, therefore I am looking forward to next summer and being able to achieve my goal.

2 comments:

  1. I see someone who enjoys water sports and the challenge of trying to ski.
    It was a little confusing at the beginning, because you're 10 and then you're 16.
    What do you want this essay to show about you? From what I understand, waterskiing is something you trying to get better at, and are still working at. Given that this is something you only do part-time in the warm weather, if the goal is to show your perseverance and determination, it might be better to pick something that you do more frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see a person who is willing to work at something physically difficult no matter what challenges they face--a person looking for another challenge.

    I think that a better transition between learning how to water ski with both skis, and then stepping it up to one ski and how it feels would make the narrative flow more effectively.

    I thought some of the descriptions were repetitive, specifically in the introduction with the cold water, the word 'tight' could be changed in the second paragraph.

    I thought overall, the paper's strength was its description of nervousness and the author's perseverance in working harder to achieve her goal.

    ReplyDelete