Thursday, November 3, 2011

college essay

First Impressions:

          On the last day of September, I drove with my family to Buzzards Bay to visit the Massachusetts Maritime Academy. I learned of the Massachusetts Maritime Academy from my cousin, Marc, who is an alum from the class of 1979. Upon entering the admissions office, I realized that this is where I want to learn. It is very important to me to attend a college where I feel like I belong, and am able to commit myself to the curriculum. I believe that the academics at Massachusetts Maritime Academy are very challenging, stringent, and a crucial component to a well-rounded post-secondary education. The small classroom sizes will be beneficial and enable me to become focused in my studies. This will give me more of an opportunity to connect with my professors and peers. Also, the organization and regimen of the daily routine is conducive to learning.
            Throughout my visit, I noticed that the uniforms created a sense of equality and community among the cadets. When talking with cadet Lauren DeNapoli, she intrigued me about her major. Marine Transportation is interesting because I would be able to become a licensed deck officer. This would allow me the ability to transfer into various management and operation positions, which is incredibly unique. After learning so much about Marine Transportation, I am now deciding whether International Maritime Business or Marine Transportation will be the major of my choice. In addition, having the choice of six majors would help me to focus on the end goal.
          My family owns a marina which has always kept me involved with the water. Growing up in this environment has significantly impacted my life, and has allowed me to have a certain respect for the water. I am aware of how dangerous-and yet how amazing-it can be. The Massachusetts Maritime Academy is simply an extension of what I have been familiar with my whole life. Experiencing a job environment before I graduate college through a “sea term” is something that really excites me. I believe I will feel comfortable and be prepared in my field by the time I graduate.
          In addition to all of these reasons, seeing the Massachusetts Maritime Academy with my own eyes made it clear that this is where I want to study. Even at such a prestigious school, the Associate Director of Admissions, Mr. James Watkins, was welcoming and made me feel like I truly belonged on campus at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy. I know that at Massachusetts Maritime Academy, my leadership skills and personal determination will be able to grow and thrive. I know that having all of these resources at my fingertips will prepare me for a successful future.

No comments:

Post a Comment