Saturday, September 10, 2011

The things they carried

The Things They Carried Assignments
Assignment #1:  
1.  If i had to take things of necessity with me to war, I think the first intangible item that I would carry would be my colorful stuffed animal that I sleep with every night. I would take this because it makes me feel safe and reminds me that people I love gave it to me.  I feel sort of a connection to my family and my home land if I had it with me when I was nowhere near any of them. I also think that by bringing my stuffed animal I would not feel so alone and I would be able to hold it as tight as I wanted if I was scared or if i was worried that I was going to die.
 My favorite blanket would come with me as well because I am in love with my blanket. I feel very comfortable and safe when I am wrapped in my blanket. The importance of this is definitely because it is my safety blanket. For example, if I ever have a scary dream or am scared, I hide under it until I feel safe. I think that I would be able to be relaxed if I took it with me to war because than I could hide my fears at night before the sun came out the next day.
I think the last thing that is tangible that I would bring would be a picture of my friends and family so that every time I got sad or needed to see them, I could look at them.  I think that I would be able to feel safer if I knew that my family was proud of me for fighting for our country’s freedom. If I did not have a picture of them to remind me of how proud I was making them I don’t think my work would be just as successful as it should be.  Its importance to me is that it makes me feel that I am doing a good job and doing what is right.
2.  When I go to war I would have many things on my mind but the main thing that would always be on my mind is three things. The first thing that is very intangible and unforgettable is my dog Lacey, she is my best friend and she is such a good girl. I don’t think I could ever go a day without thinking about something funny she did or does. Lacey always knows how to put a smile on my face. The second thing I would never forget about is my family because they are the best. They are not a perfect family by any means but they are just what I need. They understand me and always make fun memories with me. I can remember the first time we ever went to Florida; it will be something I will always cherish because it was so much fun. The last thing I would never be able to forget is my friends which are so close to me I consider them my sisters. They are the most down to earth and honest people you will ever meet. They always know how to put a smile on my face and make me have the best times when we are all together.
                Intangible to me means that if I had to go somewhere without anyone I truly knew, I would have to take a lot of memories and funny moments with me to get by. I think that everyone has several good moments and memories and that if they are in the dumps, they will always try to think of something that made them happy or better. I think that most people will always cherish moments with their friends and or family because those are the people we are always around and who are always the nicest to us. I think that intangible things help me to get through the tough times by myself with the thoughts and memories of my friends.


Assignment #2 Love (27-30)
                After reading this chapter, I had pictured in my head what this entire scene looked like. I could see Tim and Martha at the college reunion in 1979 in an old gym floor having a conversation. I could see in Tim’s eyes that he loved her but I couldn’t really tell in Martha’s eyes if she was in love or if she was annoyed. I could see that Martha had felt that she had done a lot for other people. I could also see that Tim and she had a lot of things in common.  I had a strong hope for Tim to just lean in and kiss her but he did not do that. Instead, he told her that he had loved her and she didn’t say anything at all. That is when I could feel my heart drop and I felt so bad for Tim.
                I couldn’t believe that Martha did not say she loved Tim back. After all these years and the pebble and the letters, it just didn’t make sense. I want to know why she doesn’t feel the same and did not say I love you back to Tim. I hope that Tim writes this story and that Martha realizes how much Tim truly loves her and how much time he wants to cherish and devote to her. I think this could be a love story if Martha just gave in and told Tim that she loves him as well.
Spin (31-38)
                I did not know that Mitchell Sanders had body lice and that he was such a rebel. I did not think he would be this brave to send body lice to his draft board in Ohio, with a label saying it was free. I think this has a little background to it as well because I think it is showing that he is not happy about all the disease and suffering that these men are going through every day because of the war and I think he wanted to make sure that these people knew just how felt. I think it is a kind of comic relief that was well developed in this chapter.
                I wish this chapter told me more about why Ted Lavender was so heavy on the tranquilizers. I want to know why he likes to do this to himself and why he is so obsessed with drugs. I think that the war may stress you out and all but I do not believe that you should solve your stress by taking several different drugs. I think that if anything it will make your situation worse and it will be harder to become normal if you keep doing this. I think this is part of the reason he died and well because he was not as aware as he should have been of how harmful these drugs were to his body and mind.


               

No comments:

Post a Comment